What’s the Right Order to Apply Skincare Products?
Pop quiz time: Does it really matter if you apply your sunscreen before your eye cream? Or if your face oil comes after your face moisturizer? In a word: YES. Not only does having the right skincare products make a difference, but how you apply them is just as important, too. Applying skincare products in the right order means your skin will receive the full benefits of each product’s active ingredient. Here's the correct order to apply skincare products so they have the maximum effects on your skin.
Three general rules of thumb when it comes to the correct skincare order: 1) Apply your products from thinnest to thickest texture. 2) Apply water-based products before oil-based ones. 3) Give your products time to absorb. Wait 1-2 minutes until each skincare product feels dry, before moving on to the next skincare step. Most importantly, don’t forget your face moisturizer with SPF! Now, let's get into the right order to apply skincare products, for both day and night!
What order to apply skincare products: Day
- Cleanser: Cleansing away impurities, restore, balance, and condition your skin to provide a fresh base for the rest of your products.
- Toner: They help purify, balance, and prep skin for the treatments that follow.
- Serum: Super potent skincare solutions that come in different forms, textures, and benefits to help supercharge your regimen!
- Eye Cream: Soften and hydrate your under-eye area with a hydrating eye cream.
- Moisturizer: They help skin attract and hold water, repair the barrier and defend against environmental assaults, so your skin stays sufficiently hydrated throughout the day.
- Sunscreen: Protect your skin against harmful UV rays and blue light. Our unique face moisturizers with SPF unite broad-spectrum protection, antioxidants, and skin-specific benefits into sophisticated formulas you can add into your everyday morning routine.
What order to apply skincare products: Evening
- Cleanser: It's super important to wash away makeup, dirt, and other impurities that may have accumulated on your face during the day. That way, your skin is fresh and ready to receive the other ingredients and products for your nighttime skincare routine.
- Toner: They help to balance skin's pH post-cleanse, deliver antioxidants and restore moisture to your delicate skin.
- Serum: Whether you're looking for brightening or hydrating, skincare serums are super-concentrated and nutrient-dense treatments that help your skin repair overnight.
- Eye Cream: They help maintain the health of your under-eye area and eyelids. Regular use of eye cream at night can help keep crow's feet, fine lines, and wrinkles at bay. Tip: don't apply eye creams too close to the lash line, or too close to your bedtime, because it could cause puffiness in the morning.
- Night Cream: Nighttime is when your body resets, recovers, and repairs from the day. The same goes for your skin. Maximize overnight skin recovery with a night cream like our retinol youth renewal night cream, perfect for all ages to strengthen the skin’s protective barrier. Night creams are usually heavier and richer in texture, and they get several hours to repair, rejuvenate and restore.
- Face Oil: Oils can help seal in moisture, target signs of aging skin, and lend your skin a vibrant glow. Facial oil is especially good to use if you have dry skin.
- Leave-On Spot Treatment: If you have an additional skin concern you want to address (like acne-prone skin), use a leave-on spot treatment. We recommend using these more sparingly-no more than 3 times per week for the best results.
Now that you know the correct order to apply skincare products, want to put together the best skincare regimen that works best for your skin type? Take our skincare quiz to reveal your 100% customized regimen in under 5 minutes!