What’s the Right Order to Apply Skincare Products?
Pop quiz time: Does it really matter if you apply your SPF before your eye cream? Or if your face oil comes after your moisturizer? In a word: YES. Not only does having the right skincare products make a difference—how you apply them is important, too. Applying skincare products in the right order means your skin will receive the full benefits of each product. Here’s the correct order to apply skincare products so they have the maximum effects for your skin.
Three general rules of thumb:
1) Apply your products from thinnest to thickest texture.
2) Apply water-based products before oil-based ones.
3) Give your products time to absorb. Wait 1-2 minutes until each product feels dry, before moving on to the next step.
Now, let’s get into the right order to apply skincare products, for both day and night!
What order to apply skincare products: Day
- Cleanser: Wash away impurities, restore balance and condition skin to provide a clean base for the rest of your products.
- Toner: They help purify, balance and prep skin for the treatments that follow.
- Serum: Super potent skincare solutions that come in different forms, textures and benefits to help supercharge your regimen!
- Moisturizer: They help skin attract and hold water, repair the barrier and defend against environmental assaults, so your skin stays sufficiently hydrated throughout the day.
- Eye Cream: Soften and hydrate your under-eye area with a dedicated eye treatment.
- Sunscreen: Protect your skin against UVA and UVB rays. Our unique SPFs unite broad spectrum protection, antioxidants and skin-specific benefits into sophisticated formulas you can wear daily.
What order to apply skincare products: Evening
- Cleanser: It's super important to wash away makeup, dirt and other impurities that may have accumulated on your face during the day. That way, your skin is fresh and ready to receive the other ingredients and products for your PM regimen.
- Toner: They help to balance skin's pH post-cleanse, deliver antioxidants and restore moisture.
- Serum: Whether you're looking for brightening or hydrating, serums are super-concentrated and nutrient-dense treatments that help your skin to repair overnight.
- Night Cream: Nighttime is when your body resets, recovers, and repairs from the day. Same goes for your skin. Maximize overnight skin recovery with a night cream. Night creams are usually heavier and richer in texture, and they get several hours to repair, rejuvenate and restore.
- Eye Cream: They help maintain the health of your under-eye area and eyelids. Regular use of eye cream at night can help keep crows feet, fine lines, and wrinkles at bay. Tip: don’t apply eye creams too close to the lash line, or too close to your bedtime, because it could cause puffiness in the morning.
- Face Oil: Oils can help seal in moisture, target signs of aging and lend your skin a vibrant glow. It's especially good to use one if your skin is on the drier side.
- Leave-On Treatment: If you have additional skin concerns you want to address (like acne or exfoliation), use a leave-on treatment. We recommend using these more sparingly—no more than 3 times per week—for the best results.
Now that you know the correct order to apply skincare products, want to put together the regimen that works best for your skin? Take our skincare quiz or take a photo to experience our virtual skin analysis to reveal your 100% customized regimen in under 5 minutes!