Why We Need Prebiotic Skincare Now
The good hygiene habits keeping us safe are making dry, tight and cracked skin inevitable. Slathering our bodies in lotion might not be the solution. Why? Because it’s our healthy skin microbiome that’s under attack. Frequent sanitizing and hand-washing are stripping our carefully balanced microbiome.
Your microbiome is a collection of trillions of microscopic bacteria that live on your skin. It defends like a second skin to keep it healthy, protected, and balanced. And it turns out, what’s good for your gut is good for your skin. Read on to learn more about how to improve your skin microbiome and how microbiome skincare with prebiotics can help save your skin.
Microbiome fast facts:
- For every 1 skin cell, we have 100 microbes in and on our bodies
- No two microbiomes are the same
- The microbiome of our face is different from that of our hands, backs of knees and feet, and the microbiome of our left hand can be different than our right
- Microbiomes differ from person to person and are as unique as our DNA
- Some scientists even go so far as to say that we can be identified by our microbiome, much like a fingerprint
Why is the microbiome important to skin’s health?
- It provides nutrients to the skin
- It helps create a barrier against assaults
- It encourages a balanced, healthier-looking surface
How to improve your skin microbiome
You can improve your microbiome with skincare products that contain prebiotics. Topically-applied prebiotics are the "food" for bacteria that can help skin go from dry and cracked to rehydrated, healthy, and balanced. In a sense, prebiotics help your skin do what it would do naturally in its healthiest state.
Prebiotic 4-in-1 MultiCleanser is our makeup-removing cleanser that replenishes the skin and infuses moisture up to 15 layers into the skin’s surface.* This gel-to-oil cleanser removes dirt, oil and waterproof makeup and nourishes with prebiotics to balance the skin’s microbiome, which leads to healthier-looking skin. And, it’s good for all skin types — normal, oily, combination, dry and sensitive!
Keep your microbiome and hydration levels balanced with Clarifying Water Gel. It contains innovative technology that interrupts communication so bacteria can’t form a group and cause an imbalance. The result? Your microbiome stays balanced, and you see clearer, hydrated, and healthier-looking skin!
Now that you know how to improve your skin microbiome, shop our recommended products at Murad.com.