There is an old adage that both cautions and promises that “if you think it, you will become it”. The truth in that idea has been confirmed by scientific observations showing us that depression, negative thinking and traumatic life events can potentially lead to health issues. A study by Ben-Gurion University researchers even found that there was evidence for a connection between emotional wellbeing and the risk of contracting cancer.
Affirmations are assertive, positive words or phrases, that help direct our focus to a more positive and productive state. The theory is that by replacing negative thoughts with positive ones, we can help change the way we view ourselves open us up for more good to come our way.
Feeling stuck? Here are some of my favorite sayings that I share with my patients:
- I give myself permission to be healthy.
- I expect health.
- I find beauty everywhere.
- I find inspiration wherever it resides.
- I focus on the joy of the journey; not the destination.
- I will not sweat the small stuff.
- I am the author of my own life story.
- I am free to be myself.
- I see sunshine in gray skies.
- I empower myself to take chances.
- And my favorite….I am worthy of _______________ . (You fill in the blank.)
What positive affirmations are you using to enrich your life?
Article by Howard Murad, M.D., FAAD, a world renowned skincare expert and founder of the Inclusive Health movement.