It’s getting warmer outside, and that means one very important thing when it comes to your skin: sunscreen. Without proper protection, exposure to the sun can lead to skin cancer, which is the most common type of cancer. Melanoma is less common than other skin cancers, but it can be extremely dangerous if it’s not found in the early stages. To detect melanomas (and increase survival rate) it’s recommended to learn what they look like.
Know the ABCDEs of Melanoma
- A: Asymmetry – One half unlike the other half
- B: Border– Irregular, scalloped or poorly defined border
- C: Color – Varied from one area to another; shades of tan and brown, black; sometimes white, red or blue
- D: Diameter – While melanomas are usually greater than 6mm (the size of a pencil eraser) when diagnosed, they can be smaller
- E: Evolving – A mole or skin lesion that looks different from the rest or is changing in size, shape or color
Another informative tool is something called the five “S’s of Sun Sense” to keep you protected from the sun’s potentially harmful UV rays.
Follow the five “S’s of Sun Sense:” Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek, Slide
- Slip: on clothing to keep your body protected
- Slop: on sunscreen to all exposed areas of the body, except the mouth and eyes
- Slap: on a hat to keep your scalp, neck and top of your head protected
- Seek: the shade between 10am and 4pm when the sun is at its strongest
- Slide: on protective eyewear to keep your eyes sun-safe
Getting skin cancer is the worst case scenario. But too much sun exposure can also lead to wrinkles, age spots and dry skin. Prevention is key! If you’re looking for a solution, check out Murad’s Age Proof Suncare products. We also offer a variety of sun protection skin care resources, so you can have healthy, glowing skin that’s #BetterEveryDay.