Can you believe Labor Day’s almost here? The long weekend is our last chance to get together with loved ones and bid summer a fond farewell. So let’s do it in style! Here are a few of our favorite healthy and delicious recipes to help you kick back and enjoy the long weekend.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, sliced into 1/3-inch rounds
- ½ cup sherry vinegar
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper & salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 peaches, pitted, halved, and each half quartered
- ½ small red onion, cut into 1.5-inch chunks
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Heat grill to medium. If using wooden skewers, soak eight of them in water.
- Quarter the sweet potato slices into 16 chunks. Place sweet potatoes in a covered bowl with a couple of tablespoons of water and microwave 3-5 minutes, until slightly soft (not completely fork-tender).
- Put the vinegar, ½ cup honey, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Simmer until thickened and reduced to ½ cup, about 10 minutes, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Thread the pieces of red onion, chicken, sweet potato, and peach onto the skewers.
- Reserve half the glaze. Brush the skewers with the remaining half of the glaze.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side.
- Toss the pecans in a small bowl with the remaining honey, oil, cumin, pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Place piece of foil on the grill and scatter the nuts on the foil, cooking 3 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the skewers to a serving platter, brush with the reserved glaze, and sprinkle with pecans.
- 4 ½ cups no-salt-added canned beans
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 3 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons German mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk together molasses, Worcestershire, mustard, tomato paste and vinegar. Add tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic and beans and toss to coat. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish. Bake until bubbling and vegetables are very tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- 2 cups rainbow slaw (red cabbage, hearts of cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli)
- 2 cups romaine, chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine the slaw, romaine and red bell together in a large bowl. Toss to mix. Add sliced avocado, sesame seeds, salt and pepper. Serve with your favorite healthy salad dressing.
- 1 ½ pounds new potatoes (about 15), halved if large
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, and chives)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Fill a large saucepan with 1 inch of water and fit with a steamer basket; bring the water to a boil. Place the potatoes in the basket, cover, and steam until tender, 12 to 14 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the herbs, scallions, oil, mustard, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the cooked potatoes and toss to combine.
- 8 cups cubed watermelon
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup finely chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- handful or two of arugula
- 1 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- mint leaves for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, onion, and mint. Add the lime juice and olive oil and toss well to coat. Scatter the arugula on a large platter. Mound the salad on top of the bed of arugula. Sprinkle the feta on top and garnish with mint leaves.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice (such as POM Wonderful)
- 2 ½ cups water
- crushed ice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Combine sugar and lemon juice. Stir well to dissolve. Pour lemon mixture and pomegranate juice into a pitcher, and stir well. Add 2 ½ cups water. Pour into 4 (8-ounce) glasses. Add crushed ice as needed to each glass.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and sliced bananas, mixed
- 2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
Place the mixed blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, sliced bananas, yogurt, and sugar into a blender. Cover, and blend until fruit is chunky or smooth, as desired. Fill popsicle molds with fruit mixture and freeze for a few hours.