Focus on your happiness by allowing yourself to embrace change and let go of stress in your life. Remember, healthy skin is a reflection of overall wellness—and that includes your mental and emotional wellness. Here are my top five ways to learn to embrace change:
- Welcome Positivity. It’s easy to get caught in the rut of always seeking out the negative aspects of situations. Make a conscious decision to identify when negative thoughts enter and replace them with positive thoughts or observations instead.
- Sweat it Out. Whenever you’re faced with a daunting change or another stressful event, challenge your body with a great workout. When we work out, our bodies release endorphins that help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Live in the Moment. Panic and worry can erupt when we focus on everything that can go wrong. Most of those “worst case scenarios” will never come to fruition. Do yourself a favor—relax and enjoy each moment of your life.
- Be Appreciative. Studies suggest that grateful people tend to feel happier and more optimistic, which helps them cope with change. Every night, before you go to bed, write down three things for which you are grateful.
- Try Something New. Whether it’s a new activity or a new at-home facial mask, make it a goal to try something new every week. Not only will this help you become comfortable with adapting to change; you’ll also develop more confidence and build new talents.
Fall is a season for transition. Choose products to help repair summer sun damage and hydrate your skin for the cold months ahead. Fall is also the perfect time to adopt good habits for healthy, beautiful skin. Are you using a good cleanser, treatment and moisturizer day and night? Are you exfoliating or using a mask weekly? Take time to feel like your best self and remember: there is nothing selfish about practicing self care.
Article by Howard Murad, M.D., FAAD, a world renowned skincare expert and founder of the Inclusive Health movement. Click here to learn more about Dr. Murad.